vendredi 27 mai 2016

Reading Comprehension #12 - Pre Intermediate

Read the email. Are the statements true (T), false (F) or not given (NG)?

Hi Rab

Good to hear from you. I’m sorry I haven’t written for ages, but I’ve been trying to organise stuff for college. I don’t know what it’s like in Germany, but here it’s a bit of a nightmare now as you need so much money to go to university.

I’m lucky that my parents can help me out a bit, but I don’t really want to ask them for money. The tuition fees are thousands of pounds a year and that’s just for the course and then I have to find somewhere to live. Most students take out a loan from the bank, but then we have to pay it back when we graduate and that can take years if we don’t manage to get a good job. And I don’t even want to think about how much interest we have to pay on that money. So, I I’ll be in debt for some time unless I win the lottery!

I’m studying physics which is a three-year course and when I finish I’m going to apply for a scholarship to study in the US. That’s the plan anyway. There are some very good research programmes over there and I think it would be fun to live abroad for a while. I know quite a few people who have studied in the States and they’ve loved it.

When school finishes in June, I’m going to get a summer job so I can try and save a bit of money before I head off. If I stay at home, I won’t need to spend any money on food.  I guess I could also sell my car because it’s very expensive to run a car these days and I don’t think I’ll need it when I’m at college.

How do you manage Rab? Do you have a part-time job? What are university fees like in Germany? Is it the same as here or can you get a grant to help you?

We really must get together again soon as it’s been a long time. Let me know what your plans are.

All the best

Mario

True (T), false (F) or not given (NG)?

Mario has started his degree course. NG
   
a) He can’t borrow any money from his parents.
_____
b) He does the lottery.
_____
c) He wants to study in America.
_____
d) He’s going to sell his car.
_____
e) He wants to meet up with Rab.
_____

 

 

more readings

 

 

 

 

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire