vendredi 27 mai 2016

Reading Comprehension #5 - Pre Intermediate

Read the article and complete the gaps (1–5) with the sentences (A–E).

Every month we invite our readers to write in and tell us about someone special in their lives. (0) This month’s winning entry is by Richard Jackson. 

I suppose when you’re young you don’t really think about the people around you.      
(1) __________ Now that I’m a father, however, I think about things differently and I realise how lucky we were as children. 

I grew up on a farm. I had two younger brothers and one older sister, so I was in the middle. Our father used to work very hard because it was his farm. (2) __________ Our mother used to teach at the local primary school so we spent a lot of time with our grandparents who lived with us. 

Our grandmother was an amazing woman. She got married when she was very young and she had six children, which was quite usual in those days. She stayed at home to look after all of them, but when they were older she decided she wanted to go to university.  She graduated when she was fifty years old. (3) __________

Before we were old enough to go to school, she used to look after us. (4) __________ She taught us to read and she told us stories about her life, but perhaps the most important thing she taught us was that we can do anything if we believe we can. 

My grandmother died ten years ago, but when I look at my family now, I can still remember her words. (5) __________.

Complete the gaps (1–5) with the sentences (A–E).

This month’s winning entry is by Richard Jackson.
 
A I try yo encourage my children to believe that they too can do anything they want to do.
B She was very patient and never got angry with us.
C You just expect them to be there to look after you.
D She was the first person in her family to go to university and the oldest student in her year.
E He went out before we got up and he often came home after we were in bed.

1. ______
2. ______
3. ______
4. ______
5. ______

 

 

more readings

 

 

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire