jeudi 22 septembre 2016

Reading Comprehension #2 - Upper-Intermediate

Read the email. Are the statements true (T), false (F) or not given (NG)?

Hi Anna

How are things? I hope you managed to get yourself a decent last-minute flight. I know how tired you must be after the house move, and a break somewhere out of the way is probably just what you need.

I can’t believe that I was at home this time last week and now I’m on the other side of the world. It’s been an amazing few days. Well, you of all people know how it is when you travel. I must say I’ve forgotten how many times I’ve had emails from you from some internet café or other! And now it’s my turn. To be honest, I was a bit nervous at first as I found the idea of travelling on my own quite daunting but once I’d checked in and gone through security to the departure lounge I could feel the excitement rising. It was a long flight but, would you believe, I got an upgrade so ended up travelling in business class! How the other half lives. Beginner’s luck I guess. There was plenty of room so I even managed to sleep for a while.

We landed in Seattle in the early evening and I felt quite overwhelmed by all the signs and security. You wouldn’t think we all spoke the same language, but finally I was through, picked up my luggage and took the airport shuttle to my hotel. I’d taken your advice and booked accommodation for the first night. It was fine – clean and functional. I didn’t really sleep very much at all due to jetlag and the usual noises you get in hotels so I got up early and headed into town.

There’s something about cities that are built by the sea. Do you think it’s the sense of space perhaps? You just feel you can breathe more easily. Anyway, I took the bus down town to the waterfront and spent the whole day breathing in all the sights and sounds of the bustling market. In fact, it was quite exhausting – sensory overload.  And by the end of the day I was looking forward to the next stage of the journey especially as it had started drizzling and was quite chilly. Surprisingly, given I’m a Brit, I didn’t have an umbrella with me!

Day Two and the ferry over to Orcas Island.  had to take a bus to the ferry port and then it was a couple of hours on the ferry. Orcas is one of the few San Juan Islands that is inhabited. I’d heard about these islands from a friend of mine and had decided to head out there and do some island-hopping away from the bustle of the big city. Since getting off the mainland, I haven’t made any firm plans at all, so will take each day as it comes and will write to you again when I have internet connection – it’s quite difficult here to find places with decent reception.

Take care and write back soon.


Love,


Sam xx

 

Are the statements true (T), false (F) or not given (NG)?

Ann has travelled a lot.
T
   
a) Sam hasn't travelled alone before.
_____
b) He found a hotel when he landed in Seattle.
_____
c) Seattle is surrounded by water.
_____
d) It poured with rain on the first day.
_____
e) It's not easy to send emails.
_____

 

 

more readings

 

 

 

 

1 commentaire: