jeudi 22 septembre 2016

Reading Comprehension #3 - Upper-Intermediate

Read the posting on a web forum and answer the questions.

School days are the happiest days of your lives

St Anthony’s School is celebrating its centenary this year so we are inviting all of our former students to write in with memories of their time with us. We look forward to hearing what you have to say.

Philip
I vividly remember my first day at school. I walked through the main doors and felt so small.  I’d been at a village school before starting at St Anthony’s so it was quite a shock to the system. Everyone seemed so much older than me and everyone seemed to know what they were doing and where they were going. Whenever I start something new, I’m reminded of that awful sinking feeling. I don’t suppose it’ll ever go away. 


Marianne
My favourite subject was English because I really liked our teacher. She was so passionate about literature so we all just got caught up in her enthusiasm. At the start of every lesson she would read us a short extract from whatever it was that she was reading at the time. She also encouraged us to write for ourselves and I can honestly say that I wouldn’t be a teacher myself if it hadn’t been for her influence and encouragement.


Luke
To be honest, I don’t have happy memories of my time at the school. I was a very introverted child and had always found it hard to make friends. Everyone seemed so sporty and competitive and I just didn’t fit in. Looking back, I wish I’d told my parents how unhappy I was instead of staying put. The one saving grace, as far as I’m concerned, was the library. Whenever we had a break I just went there and studied.


Graham
I’m not really academic so I don’t see the point of learning all about physics and history and all that kind of stuff. From my point of view it would have been far better if we’d done a few vocational subjects something that’s actually useful if you want to go out and get a job. I dropped out when I was 16 and got myself an apprenticeship with a local building company. I don’t think the teachers were particularly interested in anyone who didn’t want to go to university but I still see some of my classmates from time to time.


Kate
One of my best memories is our trip to Berlin. We’d been studying German for four years. There were fifteen of us so it was a good number. A couple of parents came along as well and we all stayed in a small hostel in the city centre. It was so good to be able to practise what we’d spent so long learning in the classroom. And amazingly people actually understood us!

Who...

...felt unappreciated by the teachers?
Graham
a)...was lonely at school?
_____
b)...was able to put theory into practice?
_____
c)...is still affected by memories of school?
_____
d)...was inspired to into the teaching profession?
_____
e)...wanted to study practical subjects?
_____

 

 

 

more readings

 

 

 

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire