mardi 20 septembre 2016

Reading Comprehension #4 - Intermediate

Read these money saving ideas on a web forum and answer the questions.

Luke
I’m a student so I really can’t afford to waste money. I have a part-time job during term time and then work full-time during the holidays. Even then it’s hard but if you shop around, you really can find some good bargains. I always go shopping at the end of the day when a lot of food is reduced because it has reached its sell-by date. It’s amazing how much you can save that way.

Marek
I’ve just moved to the UK. When I arrived I didn’t have any furniture but someone told me about the ‘freecycle’ scheme and I’ve managed to get almost everything I need without spending any money. Basically, if you have something you don’t want any more, you advertise it on the freecycle website and then anyone who wants it must agree to come and collect it. No-one makes any money so it really is a good exchange.

Akiko
I love shopping but I also enjoy buying things that are good value for money so I always wait until the sales are on. In some shops you can get as much as 70% off if you go at the right time. I probably don’t save any money in the end though as I usually buy more things because I’m so pleased to have got a bargain!

Stella
We live way out in the country so I don’t often manage to get to the shops and to be honest, I don’t really have the time but if I do need something, I check out the price comparison websites and of course eBay. At first I was a little nervous about shopping on-line but now I’m hooked.

Jon
A lot of people these days seem to buy clothes, wear them a couple of times and then give them to charity shops so that’s where I do my shopping. You can get some really good stuff and you know that your money is helping other people so it’s a win-win situation in my opinion.

Paul
I must admit I don’t think too much about how or where I shop but the one thing I try to do is save money on electricity and gas in the house. In the winter when it’s really cold, instead of turning up the temperature I put on another sweater and I close the doors. I encourage the children to turn off the lights when they leave the room and we don’t leave the TV or computer on standby as that uses up unnecessary energy.

 

 

Who recommends...

...shopping in the evening for cheap food?
Luke
a)...waiting until prices come down?
_____
b)...buying second-hand clothes?
_____
c)...using less energy?
_____
d)...getting free items on the Internet?
_____
e)...doing research before buying?
_____

 

 

 

more readings

 

 

 

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire